Real Time Thermal Ratings
Real Time Thermal Rating (RTTR) devices were to monitor and assess the real-time capability of overhead lines, transformers and underground cables on the Northern Powergrid network for the CLNR project.
What we wanted to find out
RTTR devices calculate the thermal ratings of power equipment based on the actual weather conditions and the electrical current and temperature of the equipment. The data gathered gave Northern Powergrid a more accurate understanding of network capacity in real-time. As a result, network planners have the information they need to make informed decisions about when and where to reinforce the network.
What we achieved
The Customer-Led Network Revolution was one of the most extensive network technology projects ever undertaken by a DNO. We operated over 200 network trials integrating smart grid network technologies with customer demand side response under the control of a sophisticated Active Network Management control system deployed for the project.
Through the learning from CLNR, Northern Powergrid have been able to develop a route map to guide the development of smart grid technology and systems to 2050. The project has delivered significant learning and leaves a comprehensive legacy including;
- A suite of datasets demonstrating the performance of all the network technology solutions trialled, this has been made available to researchers and our DNO colleagues
- Cost and benefits analysis for all the solutions trialled, presented in the industry standard templates for use in the industry Transform™ model
- Recommendations to update UK electricity industry technical network planning standards
- Insights into potential future solutions and learning on the practicalities of delivering end-to-end solutions that are compatible with customer needs
- A comprehsive DNO toolbox with practical ‘how to’ guidance including the prototype NPADDS(Network Planning and Design Decision Support) tool, policy and technical recommendations, application guides for equipment, training materials and lessons learned reports
Some of the key learning documents from our network trials are listed below; datasets and further trial analysis reports and learning can be accessed using the advanced search function on the project library.